Wednesday, February 10, 2016

J Cole's " 03' Adolescence "

This is track #4 on J Cole's "2014 Forest Hills Drive" LP. Listen Here or Review Lyrics Here

Image result for j cole adolescence


After listening to this song, I decided that I must share my opinion on it. I honestly feel a genuine connection to the story it tells. 

To start, the song takes place in J Cole's teenage years. He begins the song with his mindset at that time. Being young, low-classed, shy, and growing up in a rough neighborhood , J Cole thinks only of the things he wish he had. Things such as confidence, newer clothes, money, and a father. 

He then proceeds to reminisce on the type of crowd he hung around (drug dealers; robbers; killers; gang-bangers). He didn't choose this crowd, but it was virtually the only group of people that would accept him. This is easy to relate to for me. Growing up I faced similar circumstances and felt the same way he did at the time. Society holds no one's hand.

What makes this song so special to me is the honesty behind it. In my opinion, most rap music is exaggerated and falsified. J Cole, however, chooses to admit and talk about his true emotions. This takes a lot of courage to do, to say the things that he says in this song. I admire his truth because it matches my truth, and this song helps me to progress in life.     
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Image result for j cole quotes

At the end of the song , J Cole says "Never felt better". After expressing his truth to the world he feels relieved. Writing music is therapeutic to him, and listening to music like this is therapeutic to me.


#ColeWorld   #Honesty



No comments:

Post a Comment